Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 First Cast...

9:12am on New Year's Day, I wake up and scramble to get my gear on... As I get my coffee, I frantically drive to the Salmon River. With last night's celebration still coursing through my blood, the crisp 34 degree air feels cleansing.

I reach my spot and no one else is around. I am fishing solo- something that rarely happens, but today I needed such an outing. Yesterday, I fished for eight hours straight without even a nudge on the line. I continued flogging the water while watching Lori catch two steelhead in fifteen minutes, and proceed to "call it a day" because of her success. I watched Daley walk in behind me yesterday and catch a steelhead within minutes... Today, January 1st, will be different for me. Today I am determined to catch a fish on my first cast- the river has spoken, and I am listening.

As I position myself on the run, I strip out some line, and make certain my first cast is just in the seam that separates the fast current from the slack water. I know a fresh steelhead slipped into this holding lie since yesterday.

The fly hits the water...

A quick upstream mend, and the indicator drops! It's happening. A silence-breaking slash on the surface, and it's straight into the backing, my reel screaming, with no signs of stopping. I reach the bank and start my New Year's day sprint to regain line.

As I do so, I continue to pressure the fish, moving it into the shallows... It's a new year, and my first cast puts a seven pound steelhead on the bank. This is a fish I will remember forever. Yesterday's eight hours of getting a beat-down is now forgiven. Mrs. Salmon River has given up a gem to play today... It's 10:18am, and the New Year is off to a great start.

I remove the hook, let out a shout, and release the fish back to it's rightful owner- the cold, clear waters of the river...

In the next hour, I proceed to bank two more Salmon River Beauties, and return to the Lodge for a breakfast burrito and a cold beer. It's not even Noon on January 1st, and I'm three steelhead to the good. Happy New Year!

Tight Lines,
Lori & Neil Sunday
www.thegoodlucklodge.com

No comments:

Post a Comment